Tags

Well, I am truly surprised…all 13 of my incubating eggs are alive and growing! Apparently, the fluctuating temperatures from the power outage on Sunday did not harm them. It will be interesting to see if the 4 “questionable” eggs are slower to develop, which would mean a longer incubation period might be needed for them…I will have to start a notebook or journal to keep track of all this information…

As far as the number of times to turn the eggs is concerned, I must say that I have found conflicting information on this point. Personally, I am turning my eggs once in the morning, and once in the evening, sort of rolling them sideways. I am also keeping the eggs in the center of the incubator, since I did read that temperatures can sometimes be cooler in the far corners of the incubator. I also have some Ziploc freezer bags filled with water along the perimeter surrounding the eggs. Supposedly, this helps to help maintain an even temperature, and is put in the incubator 24 hours before you put in your eggs. Since I am working with small batches of eggs, this made sense to me. From what I've read, incubating eggs is really a trial-and-error procedure, and what works for some with a particular incubator may not work for others with a different model. So, keeping all that in mind, I offer my experiences here in the hope that someone may benefit from them.

Tent City is gone! We are still carrying the Seramas in and out morning and evening, but they are now in their new runs during the day! The automatic door openers have been installed in the coop and they are wonderful! They are quiet, slow moving, and, did I mention, wonderful! Erik was in charge of that project, and he did a great job in deciphering the cryptic instructions that came with the unit. Greg is making the cages, and we have yet to decide on how to do the dropping pits; that should be figured out this weekend. Greg designed the “counter” that holds the cages to be folded down against the wall when the coop needs heavy-duty cleaning. I have vinyl flooring to lay down on the floor, and garage-type tiles to install in the cages, but then the chickens should be able to use their new home. Oh, and we also have to come up with ramps/ladders so they can find their way into the coop…Those doors are quite a distance from the ground! We still have to add more windows, install a sink, and do some other stuff, but at least the chickens should be out of the garage sometime this weekend, and we can continue working around them. It's been a hugely busy month!